To maintain reliable navigation and avoid unscheduled long-duration closures on the Illinois Waterway (IWW), the locks need to undergo scheduled major rehabilitation and maintenance. Closure of five locks for Major Maintenance (MM) and Major Rehab (MR) was completed from 1 JUL 2020 to 29 OCT 2020. A summary of work completed is listed below.
Completed 2020 Consolidated Closures for IWW Major Maintenance and Major Rehab
- LaGrange MM/MR – lock dewatering to rehabilitate the lock chamber and miter gate machinery
- Peoria MM – lock dewatering for inspection, new bubbler system, and new miter gate hydraulic cylinders
- Starved Rock MM – lock dewatering to install 4 new miter gates, concrete sill, and anchorages
- Marseilles MM – lock dewatering to install 2 new miter gates, concrete sill, and anchorages
- Dresden Island MM – lock restrictions/closure to install upper bulkhead recesses to prep for 2023 MM
Further lock closures are necessary to complete the remaining scheduled major maintenance. Brandon Road requires the installation of bulkhead recesses to support maintenance dewatering efforts. New upper miter gates are required at two sites: Brandon Road and Dresden Island. To install these miter gates, the locks need to be dewatered using the new bulkhead recesses, and replacement of the concrete sills and gate anchorages is required to accept the new gates. Procurement of new miter gates requires significant lead time for fabrication. Additionally, two sites, Dresden Island and Marseilles require rehab of aged electrical systems. Miter Gate machinery/sector gear repairs are also required at three sites, Dresden Island, Marseilles, and Starved Rock.
Planned 2022 Closures for IWW Major Maintenance
- Brandon Road MM: approx. 120-day restriction period (includes 21-day full closure) to install upper bulkhead recesses to prep for 2023 MM dewatering
Planned 2023 Consolidated Closures for IWW Major Maintenance
- Brandon Road MM: approx. 120-day closure – lock dewatering to install 2 new miter gates, concrete sill, gate anchorages, and new miter gate machinery
- Dresden Island MM: approx. 120-day closure – lock dewatering to install 2 new miter gates, concrete sill, gate anchorages, electrical system rehab, and new miter gate machinery
- Marseilles MM: approx. 90 - 120-day closure – new miter gate machinery and lock dewatering to facilitate complete replacement of electrical system
- Starved Rock MM: approx. 90 - 120-day closure – new miter gate machinery
NOTE – this schedule does not include other potential IWW closures due to additional MM/MR work, currently unscheduled. Additional closures may be required at Brandon Road (GLMRIS project) in future years. Efforts will be made to consolidate closures to the maximum extent practical.
The amount of time required for miter gate fabrication is approximately 2.5 years from time of contract award. Fabrication of some electrical and mechanical components is expected to take 1.5 years prior to installation.
Summary of Assumptions
- Consolidated / concurrent closures are required to reduce negative economic impacts as much as possible.
- Funding is available.
- 2023 timelines are assumed since designs are not complete.
- Minimal effects of weather or emergency situations.
- Width restrictions are preferred over full closures.
The 2020 consolidated closures finished 29 Oct 2020. Contract closeout work is ongoing, with expected completion by 30 DEC 2021.
Details for the 2023 consolidated closures plan are being developed. The primary item needed to meet long lead times is the Dresden and Brandon Road Miter Gate fabrication. The installation of the Brandon Road Upper Bulkhead Recesses needs to be completed before any future consolidated closures can occur. A contract for the Dresden Miter Gate fabrication was awarded in SEP 2020 & for the Brandon Road Miter Gate fabrication in FEB 2021. The Brandon Road Upper Bulkhead Recesses contract award occurred in AUG 2021.
OM - Operations and Maintenance
River and Harbor Act of 1930
2020 Closures Summarized Project Costs
Note: LaGrange MM/MR funding is not included in the summarized project costs shown above. Refer to separate Information Paper.
2023 Closures Summarized Project Costs
Estimated Federal Cost
Estimated Non-Federal Cost
Estimated Total Project Cost
Allocations Prior to FY 2022
FY 2021 Allocation
FY 2022 Allocation
FY 2022 President’s Budget
FY 2022 Total Capability
To maintain the planned 2023 closure schedule, estimated funding needs by FY are as follows:
FY22 - $64.9M
FY23 - $22.5M
2023 Consolidated Closures - Work Items
- Dresden Island Upper Miter Gates
- Brandon Road Upper Miter Gates
- Brandon Road Lock Bulkhead Recesses
- Dresden Island Upper Miter Gate Install, Machinery & Electrical Rehab, & Dewatering
- Brandon Road Upper Miter Gate Installation, Machinery & Dewatering
- Marseilles Machinery, Electrical Rehab & Dewatering
- Starved Rock Machinery
Major Work Items Prior Fiscal Year
- Finished 2020 Consolidated Closures.
- Completion of remaining contract work and closeout of 2020 closures construction contracts.
- Awarded contract for Brandon Road upper miter gate fabrication.
- Awarded contract for Brandon Road upper bulkhead recesses.
- Awarded supply contract for Miter Gate Gears due to long lead times.
- Begin all 2023 closures contract designs.
Major Work Items Current Fiscal Year
- Award remaining long lead time supply contracts.
- Award 2023 closures construction contracts.
- Continue planning and coordination for 2023 closures.
- Complete construction of Brandon Road upper bulkhead recesses.