Stump Lake Complex Habitat Rehabilitation and Enhancement Project
St. Louis District
Pool 26, Upper Mississippi River, Miles 7 - 13, Jersey County, Illinois, Congressional District: Illinois - 13
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources
The Stump Lake Complex HREP is located in Jersey county, Illinois on the left descending bank of the Illinois River, between river miles 7.2 and 12.7. The project area consists of 2,958 acres of bottomlands which includes Upper and Lower Stump Lakes, Fowler Lake, Flat Lake, Long Lake, and Deep Lake and contains 1,098-acres of open wetlands, 252-acres of agricultural fields, and 1,578-acres of forest. The project area is located on federal lands and is managed as part of the Mississippi River State Fish and Wildlife Management Area by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources under cooperative agreements between the Department of Interior and the Corps of Engineers.
The goals of the Stump Lake Complex HREP are to enhance wetland habitat for resident and migratory wildlife, and to enhance aquatic habitat for slackwater fish.
To achieve these goals, conversion of water to land due to sedimentation and unregulated fluctuating water levels at the site needed to be addressed. These problems were contributing to the direct loss of fish and wildlife habitat and impacted production of aquatic vegetation available for wildlife.
- Approximate Acres: 2960
- Congressional District: Illinois - 13
- State(s) Covered: Illinois
- Land Ownership: Federal
- Management Agency: ILDNR
- Management Authority: Cooperative Agreement
- Riverside sediment deflection berm 5.5 miles long to reduce river-borne sedimentation
- Seven low-level interior wetland unit containment berms constructed to allow for effect water conveyance
- Several gravity flow sluice-gated culverts and stop-log structures were installed to perform and control watering and dewatering of the wetland compartments
- Portable pump
- Dredging of Long Lake and Deep Lake
- The Definite Project Report was completed in October 1987.
- Construction was initiated in March 1998 and completed in September 1999.
- The Operation and Maintenance Manual was completed in November 2003.
- Performance Evaluation Report completed in September 2014.
- Performance monitoring continues.