St. Paul District
Pool 10, Upper Mississippi River, Miles 615 - 618, Clayton County, Iowa, Congressional District: IA - 1
- U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IADNR)
Bussey Lake supports an excellent fishery, but sedimentation from the Buck Creek watershed and the main channel reduced water depths in the lake. Shallow depths increased the growth of emergent aquatic plants and accelerated eutrophication. The sedimentation problem would result in continued degradation of the lake and eventual loss of the lake fishery.
- Approximate Acres: 494
- State(s) Covered: Iowa
- Land Ownership: USFWS
- Management Agency: USFWS
- Management Authority: Refuge
- Construct a 41,000-gpm pump station designed to service the Upper and Lower Lakes
- Construct stop log water control structure (Lower Lake)
- Replace existing radial gate water control structure (Upper Lake)
- Raise the elevation of the existing cross dike and Upper Lake perimeter levee
- Excavate 19,000 feet of drainage channels (Lower Lake)
- Construct a submerged side channel entrance stone closure structure
- Construct boat ramp and access road for management access to Upper Lake
- The Definite Project Report was completed in June 1991.
- Construction was initiated in May 1992 and completed in December 2003.
- The Operation and Maintenance Manual was completed in April 2005.