Lansing Big Lake Habitat Rehabilitation and Enhancement Project
St. Paul District
Pool 9, Upper Mississippi River, Miles 664 - 671, Allamakee County, Iowa, Congressional District: IA - 1
Sediments were entering Big Lake through several side channels at the upper end of the lake. These sediments increased turbidity and were slowly filling the lake, significantly degrading the value of the fish and wildlife habitat.
- Approximate Acres: 6420
- State(s) Covered: IA
- Land Ownership: Federal
- Management Agency: USFWS
- Management Authority: Refuge
- Modified 10 side-channel openings into the Big Lake area.
- Complete closures were provided at seven of the 10 openings, and rock liners were constructed at three openings.
- The Definite Project Report was completed in March 1991.
- Construction was initiated in June 1994 and completed in September 1996.
- The Operation and Maintenance Manual was completed in September 1998.
- Performance monitoring continues.