East Channel Habitat Rehabilitation and Enhancement Project
St. Paul District
Pool 7, Upper Mississippi River, Miles 700 - 702, La Crosse County, Wisconsin and Winona County, Minnesota, Congressional District: WI - 3, MN - 1
At Interstate 90 Bay, erosion of a peninsula jeopardized the fishery resources of upper pool 8. At Lower Island 98 and Minnesota Island, erosion contributed to long-term loss of island habitat. These islands also maintained the East Channel as a large side channel. The areas downstream provide high quality overwintering habitat and spawning area for walleye.
- Approximate Acres: 320
- State(s) Covered: WI, MN
- Land Ownership: USFWS
- Management Agency: USFWS
- Management Authority: Refuge
- Use rockfill to restore and stabilize 600 feet of peninsula at Interstate 90 and 900 feet of shoreline along Lower Island 98 and Minnesota Island
- The Definite Project Report was completed in September 1995.
- Construction was initiated in October 1996 and completed in June 1997.
- The Operation and Maintenance Manual was completed in October 1997.