The Indian Slough site is located in a backwater area downstream of Lake Pepin in pool 4 adjacent to Big Lake on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River navigation channel, across from Wabasha, Minnesota. The site lies within the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge. Water from the main channel was being carried down Indian Slough, filling upper Big Lake with sediment and degrading fish habitat.
- Approximate Acres: 825
- State(s) Covered: WI
- Land Ownership: Federal
- Management Agency: USFWS
- Management Authority: Refuge
- The Definite Project Report was completed in September 1990.
- Construction was initiated in September 1992 and completed in June 1994.
- The Operation and Maintenance Manual was completed in October 1994.
- Performance monitoring continues.