Pool 8 Islands, Phase III Habitat Rehabilitation and Enhancement Project
St. Paul District
Pool 8, Upper Mississippi River, Miles 683 - 688, Vernon County, Wisconsin and Houston County, Minnesota,
Congressional District: Wisconsin - 3, Minnesota - 1
Many of the islands in Pool 8 have eroded or disappeared, which has increased inflows to backwaters and wind fetch resulting in higher turbidity in the backwater areas and loss of valuable aquatic plant beds that migrating canvasback ducks use for food.
- Approximate Acres: 3288
- State(s) Covered: Wisconsin, Minnesota
- Land Ownership: Federal
- Management Agency: USFWS
- Management Authority: Refuge
- The proposed project would construct 17 new islands in the lake-like portion of pool 8 to reduce wave action and associated turbidity in the backwater area.
- The islands would be constructed with dredged material and protected with riprap and vegetation to prevent erosion.
- The Definite Project Report was completed in April 2002.
- Construction was initiated in August 2006 and completed in June 2012.