Planning Assistance to States and Tribes

Planning Assistance to States and Tribes
Section 22 of the Water Resources Development Act of 1974

What the Corps of Engineers Can Do:
The needed planning assistance is determined by the individual State or Native American Tribe. Every year, each State, Native American Tribe, local government, or other non-Federal entity can provide the Corps of Engineers its request for studies under the program, and the Corps of Engineers then accommodates as many studies as possible within the funding allotment. Typical studies are only planning level of detail; they do not include detailed design for project construction. The studies generally involve the analysis of existing data for planning purposes, using standard engineering techniques, although some data collection is often necessary. Most studies become the basis for State, Tribal and local planning decisions.

A maximum of $5,000,000 is authorized to be appropriated annually to the Planning Assistance Program Nationwide. Each state or Indian Tribe is authorized to be appropriated $2,000,000 annually. The Corps of Engineers will accommodate as many studies as possible within the funding allotment. Costs are shared 50% Federal and 50% non-Federal. The non-Federal 50% share can be made up of all in-kind services, all cash, or combination of cash and in-kind services. 

Typical Studies:
The program can encompass many types of studies dealing with water and related land
resource issues. Types of studies conducted in recent years under the program include the following:

  • Water Supply and Demand Studies
  • Water Quality Studies
  • Environmental Conservation Studies
  • Environmental Restoration Studies
  • Wetland Evaluation Studies
  • Dam Safety/Failure Studies
  • Flood Risk Management Studies
  • Floodplain Management Studies
  • Land Use Studies
  • Master Planning
  • GIS Development
  • State Water Plans

How to Request Assistance:
Contact the Rock Island District’s Planning Assistance to States Coordinator at (309) 794-5704 or by email at