To maintain reliable navigation and avoid unscheduled long-duration closures on the Illinois Waterway (IWW), the locks need to undergo scheduled major rehabilitation and maintenance. LaGrange Lock is due for Major Rehabilitation in 2020, and Peoria Lock will be dewatered for routine maintenance at the same time. Four locks on the IWW require the installation of bulkhead recesses to support maintenance dewatering efforts there, and new miter gates are also required at those four sites: Brandon Road, Dresden Island, Marseilles and Starved Rock. To install these miter gates, the locks need to be dewatered using the new bulkhead recesses, and replacement of the concrete sills and gate anchorages is required to accept the new gates. Procurement of new miter gates requires significant lead time for fabrication.
Consolidated Closures for IWW Major Maintenance (MM) and ¬Major Rehab (MR)
• LaGrange MM/MR – up to 120 day closure – lock dewatering to rehabilitate the lock chamber and miter gate machinery
• Peoria MM – 87 day closure – lock dewatering for inspection, new bubbler system, new miter gate hydraulic cylinders
• Starved Rock MM – 120 day closure – lock dewatering to install 4 new miter gates plus sill and anchorages
• Marseilles MM – 115 day closure – lock dewatering to install 2 new miter gates plus sill and anchorages
• Dresden Island MM – 115 day restriction period (includes 21 day full closure) to install upper bulkhead recesses to prep for 2023 MM
• Brandon Road MM – up to 115 day restriction period (includes 21-day full closure) to install upper bulkhead recesses to prep for 2023 MM dewatering
• Dresden Island MM – 90 day closure – lock dewatering to install 2 new miter gates plus sill and anchorages
• Brandon Road MM – 90 day closure – lock dewatering to install 2 new miter gates plus sill and anchorages*NOTE* – this schedule does not include other potential IWW closures for additional MM/MR work, currently unscheduled. MR evaluations are currently ongoing. Additional closures are not anticipated at this time. However, an additional closure at Brandon Road (GLMRIS project) may occur in later years,
if approved. Efforts to consolidate that closure plus any other currently unscheduled closures will be pursued.
The amount of time required for miter gate fabrication is approximately 2.5 years from time of contract award.
The LaGrange MM/MR contract was awarded in November 2018, which allows for sufficient lead time for fabrication and procurement of multiple items prior to the start of the closure.
Summary of Assumptions
• Consolidated / concurrent closures are required to reduce negative economic impacts as much as possible.
• Preferred closure timeframe on the IWW is between 1 July and 31 October (if the closure timeframe for one project is moved, it will affect the other projects scheduled for closure that same FY).
• Funding is available.
• Timelines are assumed since not all designs are complete.
• Minimal effects of weather or emergency situations.
• Width restrictions are preferred over full closures.
We have met current contract award schedules and are on track for meeting future scheduled contract awards. This schedule will meet lead times and 2020 closures timelines, pending timely receipt of FY20 funding.
Senators: Richard Durbin (IL), Tammy Duckworth (IL)
Representatives: IL-1 (Bobby Rush), IL-2 (Robin Kelly), IL-3 (Dan Lipinski), IL-4 (Jesus Garcia), IL-7 (Danny Davis), IL-11 (Bill Foster), IL-13 (Rodney Davis), IL-14 (Lauren Underwood), IL-15 (John Shimkus), IL-16 (Adam Kinzinger), IL-17 (Cheri Bustos), IL-18 (Darin LaHood)
OM - Operations and Maintenance
River and Harbor Act of 1930
Summarized Project Costs
|Estimated Federal Cost
|Estimated Non-Federal Cost
|Estimated Total Project Cost
|Allocations Prior to FY 2020
|FY 2020 Allocation
|FY 2020 Total Capability
Note: LaGrange MM/MR funding is not included in the summarized project costs shown above.
2020 Consolidated Closures - Work Items
Dresden Island Lock Bulkhead Recesses
Marseilles Upper Miter Gate Installation
Starved Rock Upper/Lower Miter Gate Installation
Starved Rock Dewatering
Dresden Island Upper Miter Gates
Brandon Road Upper Miter Gates
2023 Consolidated Closures - Work Items
Brandon Road Lock Bulkhead Recesses
Dresden Island Upper Miter Gate Installation
Brandon Road Upper Miter Gate Installation
Dresden Island Dewatering
Brandon Road Dewatering
Major Work Items Current Year
• Dresden Island Bulkhead Recesses contract awarded.
• Award Supply Contracts for dewaterings.
• Finalize planning for dewaterings.
• Begin the 2020 Consolidated Closures and dewatering of 4 locks.
• Award contract for Dresden Island and Brandon Road upper miter gate fabrication.