US Army Corps of Engineers
Rock Island District Website

Beginning Sept. 7, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Rock Island District, will temporarily close the main channel of the Mississippi River at river mile 425.7 in Pool 18 near Keithsburg, Illinois, to move dredged material from Willow Bar Island to the Iowa shore. The closure is anticipated to last three weeks and will impact navigation.
The Rock Island District's roots can be traced to a Congressional Act in 1866 when funds were first appropriated for improving navigation on the Upper Mississippi River. Over the years, the boundaries and responsibilities of the District have changed but its mission of providing vital civil works programs to the Midwest, the Mississippi River Valley and the Nation has remained unchanged.
As of Oct. 29, all locks on the Illinois Waterway have reopened to navigation after a series of extended, consolidated closures. Peoria Lock was the first to reopen on Sept. 28, followed by LaGrange Lock on Oct.13, and Dresden Island, Starved Rock and Marseilles on Oct. 29.
On Dec. 29, USACE and State of Illinois signed a design agreement allowing for Pre-construction Engineering and Design (PED) to be completed for the Brandon Road Interbasin Project once funds are received. Additionally, Illinois signed an agreement with the State of Michigan to assist in funding the project.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter