Rock Island, IL - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mississippi River Project announces that the Mississippi River Visitor Center at Locks and Dam #15 is inviting guests to bring their bicycles for a tour of historic Arsenal Island. This six-mile ride will be held on Sunday, July 17th from 11:30am – 1:00pm. Historic points of interest include Colonel Davenport’s Home, the old Moline Lock, Arsenal Quarters #1, the Confederate Cemetery, and many more. The tour will begin and end at the Mississippi River Visitor Center, located on the western end of Arsenal Island at Locks and Dam #15. This tour is free of charge. Advance registration is recommended. Helmets are mandatory and training wheels are not allowed. An adult must accompany children under 16 years of age. To gain access to Arsenal Island, all visitors must be issued a pass which can be achieved by going to the Visitor Control Center which is located in building 23 near the Moline entrance. More information on accessing the Rock Island Arsenal can be found by visiting the website
www.usagria.army.mil/accessrequests or by calling 309-782-1337.
Release no. 16-044