St. Paul District
Pool 9, Upper Mississippi River, Miles 671 - 672, Vernon County, Wisconsin, Congressional District: WI - 3
Backwater lakes and sloughs at Blackhawk Park did not receive water flows from the Mississippi River at normal pool levels. This resulted in stagnation and dissolved oxygen depletion in these waters during late summer and winter.
- Approximate Acres: 82
- State(s) Covered: WI
- Land Ownership: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Management Agency: WIDNR
- Management Authority: Cooperative Agreement
- Excavated approximately 7,000 linear feet of channels from the Mississippi River to the backwater lakes, providing flows of 30 to 90 cubic feet per second to the lakes
- Culverts were installed where the channels cross local roadways
- The Definite Project Report was completed in February 1986.
- Construction was initiated in September 1990 and completed in December 1990.
- The Operation and Maintenance Manual was completed in July 1994.
- The Initial Project Evaluation Report was completed in September 2004.