SEC. 459. UPPER MISSISSIPPI RIVER COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
(a) Development. - The Secretary shall develop a plan to address water resource and related land resource problems and opportunities in the upper Mississippi and Illinois River basins, from Cairo, Illinois, to the headwaters of the Mississippi River, in the interest of systemic flood damage reduction by means of -
- structural and nonstructural flood control and floodplain management strategies;
- continued maintenance of the navigation project;
- management of bank caving and erosion;
- watershed nutrient and sediment management;
- habitat management;
- recreation needs; and
- other related purposes.
(b) Contents. - The plan under subsection (a) shall -
- contain recommendations on management plans and actions to be carried out by the responsible Fedral and non-Federal entities;
- specifically address recommendations to authorize construction of a systemic flood control project for the upper Mississippi River; and
- include recommendations for Federal action where appropriate and recommendations for follow-on studies for problem areas for which data or current technology does not allow immediate solutions.
(c) Consultation and Use of Existing Data. - In carrying out this section, the Secretary shall -
- consult with appropriate Federal and State agencies; and
- make maximum use of data in existence on the date of enactment of this Act and ongoing programs and efforts of Federal agencies and States in developing the plan under subsection (a).
(d) Cost Sharing. -
- Development. - Development of the plan under subsection (a) shall be at Federal expense.
- Feasibility Studies. - Feasibility studies resulting from development of the plan shall be subject to cost sharing under section 105 of the Water Resources Development Act of 1986 (33 U.S.C. 2215).