The Sugar Bottom Campground is the largest of the three campgrounds at Coralville Lake. It is located in the middle of Coralville Lake. There are over 200 campsite with 30 Amp or 50 Amp electricity, full hook-up campsites, and primitive walk-in tent sites. The full hook-up sites include water, sewer, and 50 Amp electric at the individual campsite. There are horseshoe pits, playgrounds, a swimming beach and boat ramp for register campers, an 18-hole Disc golf course, 10 miles of mountain bike trials, modern shower facilities with hot and cold water and flush rest rooms and an amphitheater are all available at the Sugar Bottom Campground.
- 30 AMP Electric: $20
- 50 AMP Electric Only: $22
- 50 AMP Electric & Water: $24
- 50 AMP Electric, Water & Sewer: $26
- Walk-to Primitive Tent: $14
- Group Area Standard Electric: $80 - $200
Group Camping Reservations
For groups looking to camp together, the Sugar Bottom Campground offers a group camping area. There are four loops for a total of 29 sites. All four loops can be reserved by one group if needed.
Loop A has 10 camp sites; Loop B1 has 4 camp sites; Loop B2 has 5 camp sites; and Loop C has 10 camp sites. The prices are listed below.
Group reservations can be made12 months in advance of your arrival date. The per night fee per loop must be paid in advance when making a group reservation. Reservations can be made either by using the website www.Recreation.gov or by calling the toll-free reservation desk at 1-877-444-6777.
Loop A $200.00 per night Sites 215 - 224 Reserve site 215
Loop B1 $80.00 per night Sites 225 - 228 Reserve site 225
Loop B2 $100.00 per night Sites 229 - 233 Reserve site 229
Loop C $200.00 per night Sites 234 - 243 Reserve site 234
Advanced Campsite Reservations
Reserving your campsite is available through the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS). Reservations are accepted by calling the toll-free number at 1-877-444-6777 any day of the week. Reservations can also be made online at www.Recreation.gov seven days a week, 24 hours a day!
A portion of the campsites at Sugar Bottom are available for advance reservations. Reservations for single camp sites can be made six (6) months in advance of your arrival date. Reservations must be made at least 2 days prior to the arrival date.
Reservations for the group camping sites can be made 12 months in advance of the arrival date. Reservations must be made at least 2 days prior to the arrival date.
Please have the following information ready to make a reservation:
- Campground name if possible or the state.
- Arrival and departure dates.
- The number of people in your party.
- Type of site required (tent or RV, etc.) or Site Number
- Your name, address, and telephone number.
- Method of payment. Only credit cards are accepted. (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, and Discover are accepted.)
- America the Beautiful Senior Pass, America the Beautiful Access Pass, Golden Age or the Golden Access passport number (if applicable).
- Mountain Bike Trails at Sugar Bottom Day Use Area
- Disc Golf Course, 18-hole at Sugar Bottom Day Use Area
- Boat Launch Ramp (Campers Only)
- Dump Station with Potable Water
- Flush Toilets
- Hiking Trails
- Horseshoe pits (Located by sites 16, 113 and 193)
- Vault Restroom
- Modern Showers with hot and cold water
- Swimming Beach
Entrance Station Hours
Season: Campground open May 1 to September 30. Reservations can be made six months in advance of the arrival date. To make your reservations go to www.recreation.gov or call toll free 1-877-444-6777.
Sunday - Thursday: 10:00am - 8:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 10:00am - 11:00am - 9:00pm
Take I-80 to I-380 North. Follow I-380 North to Exit 4. Turn East onto Penn Street. Follow Penn St to North Front Street. Turn left onto North Front Street. North Front Street turns into Mehaffey Bridge Road (aka County Rd F28). After crossing the Mehaffey Bridge over Coralville Lake, turn right at the sign to the campground. Follow the entrance road to the Sugar Bottom Campground Entrance Station.
GPS Coordinates - Sugar Bottom Campground: 41.764284, -91.559839