Non-Approved Dock Structure

Approved Dock Structure

Dock Building Construction Standards

The following construction standards apply to new, replacement, or modified structures of any type:

  • Structures must be constructed in accordance with the plans and specifications approved by District representative(s).
  • All docks must be securely anchored in place using posts, deadman, or other suitable means. Altering the natural terrain or vegetation, anchoring to trees, or obstructing general public use of the shoreline will not be allowed.
  • Electrical installations must be weatherproof and meet all current applicable electric codes and regulations. Electrical service and equipment leading to or on private mooring facilities must not pose a safety hazard nor conflict with other recreational use. In addition, electrical installations must be certified in writing by a state registered electrician. The written certification must be submitted to the Corps upon request.
  • Floats and Floatation Material: Floats and the floatation material must be specifically fabricated for marine use and warranted by the manufacturer for a minimum of 8 years against sinking, becoming waterlogged, cracking, peeling, fragmenting, or losing beads.

Specific requirements may be found in the Federal Register, July 1, 1998, Volume 63, Number 126, Pages 35826-35828. Foam bead floatation is not allowed. All floats shall resist puncture and penetration and shall not be subject to damage by animals.

Reuse of plastic or metal drums or barrels not specifically manufactured for marine floatation use is prohibited.

All new or replacement docks: For all new or replacement docks, the above requirements are effective on August 18, 1998, for Shoreline Use Permits, and October 1, 1998 for docks at Corps of Engineers administered Cottage Site Leases. On all new dock applications and/or applications for replacement floating docks using foam: the foam must be encased with concrete, galvanized steel, aluminum, recycled plastic lumber, polyethylene, fiberglass, or tough flexible plastic.